Thursday, July 29, 2010

Plan to reduce the gap for economically disadvantaged students

Taking action for school improvement:
The plan that I have formatted has 4 steps. First, I would like to call the parents of the economically disadvantaged students in the first six weeks of the school year. Parent participation is an important factor in student learning. To accomplish this I will need to make a list of the students that I have that are economically disadvantaged and their phone numbers. I will monitor and evaluate this step each six weeks by the amount of contact that I have with economically disadvantaged students compared to my non-economically disadvantaged students. Second, I will assign students who failed the previous year’s end of course exam a peer tutor and require them to meet with their tutor once a week. I will need a list of student who did not pass the sixth grade end of course exam and I will need a list of National Junior High Society members who are willing to tutor. I will need to have times set up for them to meet their tutor and work. I will evaluate to see if this is working by keeping track of the time that the students worked together and by looking at the quizzes and unit test scores. Third, I plan to use nonlinguistic representation of vocabulary words to increase their background knowledge in science. I will need a list of vocabulary for each unit that I teach and several different vocabulary strategies to keep students engaged. I will monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the increased vocabulary by looking at quiz grades and unit test scores. At the end of the year I will compare the results of the 6th grade end of course with the results of the 7th grade end of course exams. Forth, I will differentiate instruction by learning styles for my students. Each student will be quizzed to determine their learning style and from that point the students will pick activities to do from their learning styles. I will need to differentiate each unit of study, and I will need to find good multiple intelligence surveys for them to complete. I will evaluate this by orally quizzing the students on topics and by looking at the unit and end of course exams comparing them to the previous year’s exams.

2 comments:

  1. After my school site based meeting today. We looked at the gap as the students were 6th, 7th, and 8th graders--It get wider every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe the gap does get wider each year because students are still experiencing a lot of the same problems that were occurring in elementary (esp. reading issues)if reading is a concern then all academics will suffer. Now that they are older the issues of influence from society and peers becomes more challenging for these students.Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete